The Vanilla JS Academy
Follow a structured learning path, work on lots of fun projects, and get the support you need to work through challenges.
How It Works
- 70+ Lessons
- 34 Projects
- 24/7 Peer Chat
- 10 Week Program
- Every other day, you get a project to work on, 1-3 short lessons that provide some background, and a template to help you get started.
- On the in-between days, I share my approach to the project and some of the common challenges and “gotchas” that students often run into.
If you get stuck, there’s a 24/7 private Slack channel exclusively for students, and video office hours every few weeks.
What You’ll Learn
Work on Fun Projects!
Don’t go it alone! Get the support you need to build amazing things.
Private Slack Access
Get 24/7 access to a private Slack channel where you can chat with other students, get feedback on code, and ask questions in between office hours.
The Program Schedule
Here’s exactly what you’ll learn in the Vanilla JS Academy.
1. DOM Essentials
- Getting elements in the DOM
- Listening for events and user interactions
- Looping over elements
- Getting and setting text and HTML
- Working with custom HTML attributes
2. Ajax, HTTP, and APIs
- Working with
- Parsing and manipulating API data
- Promises and chaining API calls
- Cross-site scripting attacks and sanitizing third-party data
3. Arrays, Objects, Strings, and Numbers
- Looping over and manipulating arrays and objects
- Shuffling arrays
- Adding and removing items from arrays and objects
- Converting strings to numbers and numbers to strings
4. Writing your own plugins and libraries
- Adding customizable options to your scripts
- Exposing public methods
- Allowing multiple versions of a plugin to run at once
- Writing flexible, scalable code
5. Browser Storage
- Storing data locally in the browser
- How to convert objects to strings and back again
- How to expire stored data
- State-based UI
- Data reactivity
- DOM diffing
- Routing techniques
Across all of the sections, you’ll also learn about web performance, debugging, and accessibility.
- Learn modern best practices and code patterns.
- Spend less time Googling and more time working on cool stuff.
- Follow a structured learning path to grow your skills more quickly.
- Work on real projects and build your portfolio.
Your 100% Money-Back Guarantee 💰
About the Instructor
Ready to join?
A brand new Vanilla JS Academy returns in late Spring.
Be the first to find out when registration opens back up and get exclusive discounts. Enter your email below.
Not ready yet? Get daily developer tips.
I send out a short email each weekday with code snippets, tools, techniques, and interesting stuff from around the web. Join 11,200+ daily subscribers.
If you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.