The Vanilla JS Academy
The Vanilla JS Academy provides a structured learning path, lots of fun projects, and the support you need to work through challenges.
🚀 Last chance to join! A brand new Vanilla JS Academy just started, but it's not too late to join. Register today and save 30%.
How It Works
- 70+ Lessons
- 34 Projects
- 24/7 Peer Chat
- 10 Week Program
- Every other day, you get a project to work on, 1-3 short lessons that provide some background, and a template to help you get started.
- On the in-between days, I share my approach to the project and some of the common challenges and “gotchas” that students often run into.
If you get stuck, there’s a 24/7 private Slack channel exclusively for students, and video office hours every few weeks.
What You’ll Learn
Work on Fun Projects!
Don’t go it alone! Get the support you need to build amazing things.
Private Slack Access
Get 24/7 access to a private Slack channel where you can chat with other students, get feedback on code, and ask questions in between office hours.
The Program Schedule
Here’s exactly what you’ll learn in the Vanilla JS Academy.
1. DOM Essentials
- Getting elements in the DOM
- Listening for events and user interactions
- Looping over elements
- Getting and setting text and HTML
- Working with custom HTML attributes
2. Ajax, HTTP, and APIs
- Working with
- Parsing and manipulating API data
- Promises and chaining API calls
- Cross-site scripting attacks and sanitizing third-party data
3. Arrays, Objects, Strings, and Numbers
- Looping over and manipulating arrays and objects
- Shuffling arrays
- Adding and removing items from arrays and objects
- Converting strings to numbers and numbers to strings
4. Writing your own plugins and libraries
- Adding customizable options to your scripts
- Exposing public methods
- Allowing multiple versions of a plugin to run at once
- Writing flexible, scalable code
5. Browser Storage
- Storing data locally in the browser
- How to convert objects to strings and back again
- How to expire stored data
- State-based UI
- Data reactivity
- DOM diffing
- Routing techniques
Across all of the sections, you’ll also learn about web performance, debugging, and accessibility.
- Learn modern best practices and code patterns.
- Spend less time Googling and more time working on cool stuff.
- Follow a structured learning path to grow your skills more quickly.
- Work on real projects and build your portfolio.
Your 100% Money-Back Guarantee 💰
About the Instructor
Ready to join?
⏰ Last chance to join! Use the code
LASTCHANCE to get 30% off at checkout.
- 10 weeks of short, focused lessons made for beginners
- 70+ lessons
- Video office hours
- Exclusive Slack access
⏰ Last chance to join! Use the code
LASTCHANCE to get 30% off at checkout.
The next session runs from October 14 to December 20. After joining, you’ll get an email with the details.
Want your whole team to attend the Vanilla JS Academy? I offer private training programs that can be customized for your team. I only run a limited number of these a year. Email me at email@example.com to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What’s the difference between the Vanilla JS Academy and your pocket guides?
- The guides try to cover all of the important details on a particular topic, then walk you through a project to help you remember what you learned. Academy is about learning from doing, and gives you just enough information to get started on projects without giving you all the answers.
If you learn best from experience and building things, Academy is a great fit. If you learn best by being guided through a problem, Academy would probably be a waste of money.
- I already purchased your pocket guides? Will I learn anything new from the Vanilla JS Academy?
- How much of a time commitment does the Vanilla JS Academy involve?
The amount of time required varies a bit from the beginning to end of the program, and based on how much experience you have already. Generally speaking, expect each project to take 30 minutes to an hour (plus maybe 15 minutes of reading with the lessons) near the start of the program, and up to two or three hours near the end.
- When are office hours held?
- Office hours are held at 12pm (noon) US Eastern to accommodate as many people as possible. Days of the week vary, but they’re always on a weekday. They’re recorded for people who can’t attend, and you can submit questions ahead of time if you can’t make it.
- How does it work if I’m in a different timezone?
- The lessons and projects automatically show up in the learning portal every day, and can be completed whenever you want. The Slack channel is available 24/7, and there are people from around the globe in the program.
The only “time specific” part is the office hours. If you’re in a location where you can’t join them live, you can send in questions ahead of time. Office hours are recorded so that you can watch them later.
- Does the Vanilla JS Academy cover new ES6 methods?
- Yes. Where applicable, I cover new ES6 functions and browser APIs. I also include polyfills when available to push browser support as far back as possible.
- What happens after the program? Do I lose access to the lessons?
- You get lifetime access to all of the lessons from the program.
- Do you offer team training?
- Yes. If you want your entire team to attend the Vanilla JS Academy, I offer a private version of the program just for your team.
- Do you offer a student discount?
- Absolutely! This applies to anyone in any type of schooling, including evening classes and coding bootcamps. Learn more about student discounts.
- I have a poor exchange rate in USD. There’s no way I can afford this.
- I totally get that in some countries salaries and cost of living are such that the Vanilla JS Academy is unaffordable. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you a discount to make it fair for where you live.
- I’m not a student. Any other discounts?
- Yep. I’ve had a lot of helping getting where I am, and I want to pay it forward. If you’re a member of an under-represented group in tech, you can get special pricing. Learn more about discounts for under-represented groups in tech.
- Do you have a refund policy?
- Absolutely! If you’re not 100% satisfied with the Vanilla JS Academy, email me at email@example.com and I’ll give you a full refund.
- After I sign up, how do I access the training program materials?
- Visit https://courses.gomakethings.com and create an account with the email address you used to make your purchase. The program has fixed start and end dates, so not all material will be available at once. You’ll get a few emails from me when the program is about to start.
- Are there any restrictions on the training material?
- Nope. I trust you to do the right thing. My content is 100% DRM free. If you think others might enjoy the program, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about team pricing.
- Do I need any special tools or equipment for the Vanilla JS Academy?
- All you need to go through the program and work on the projects is a modern web browser and a text editor (I recommend VS Code). The program materials come in a mix streaming HD video and plain text, so you can read and watch any device you own.
- Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to participate in the Vanilla JS Academy?
- Are there any rules or requirements for participating in the office hours and Slack channel?
- Yes. You must be at least 18 years old, and read and agree to follow the Code of Conduct.
- I have another question.
- No problem! Send me an email at email@example.com.
Not ready yet? Get daily developer tips.
I send out a short email each weekday with code snippets, tools, techniques, and interesting stuff from around the web. Join 7,300+ daily subscribers.
If you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.